Thursday, August 20, 2009

Attempting Faux Embossing

I have seen stunning examples of this technique (at Felicity's blog, for a start), and would love to say that my attempts were wildly successful, but so far I'm not 100% happy with the results.

However, this card which I made recently came kind of close to the effect I was after.

Faux embossing is a technique whereby you stamp an image in white, then (a Stamp-a-ma-jig is essential for this) stamp again a fraction of a centimetre off to one side in a dark ink. The result is supposed to trick your eye into seeing a slightly raised image, as if it was embossed.

The photo here doesn't really show the effect very well, sadly, and I have seen much better samples, but I like the colours and layout of this card enough to show you how it came out.

Originally I tried the overstamping in Real Red ink to match the cardstock, but for some reason it came out an odd burgundy colour over the top of the Whisper White ink, so I redid it with the Chocolate Chip - much better.

Images © 1990-2009 Stampin' Up!®

Supplies used:

Stamp set/s: Always

Ink: Whisper White Craft, Chocolate Chip

Cardstock: Chocolate Chip, Real Red, Basic Black, Kraft

Other: Stamp-a-ma-jig, Always in Bloom Standard Wheel

1 comment:

Pauline Laing said...

Oooh, I put my try on MY blog:

http://alteredpenguin.blogspot.com/2009/08/faux-embossing.html

That was fun!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails